PROCEEDINGS AND PICTURES FROM THE NIGERIAN SENATE SEATING OF TUESDAY, 9TH OCTOBER, 2018
Welcome to a new Legislative Day in the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, led the Principal Officers into the chambers; took the official prayers; and began the day’s proceedings at 11:05am.
Senate moved into an Executive Session at 11:09am and resumed at 11:25am.
Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki reported that at the Executive Session the Senate deliberated on the workings of the Nigerian Senate in particular and the National Assembly in general.
Senator Babajide Omoworare moved for the approval of votes and proceedings II of Tuesday, 24th July, 2018. Senator Hope Uzodinma seconded.
Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki read the following letters. These are the letters;
1. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The Chartered Institute of Entrepreneurship (Establishment) Bill, 2018;
2. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The Subsidiary Legislation (Legislative Scrutiny) Bill, 2018;
3. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The National Agricultural Seeds Council Bill, 2018;
4. Suppression of Piracy and other Maritime Offenses Bill (2018) for passage into law;
5. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The National Institute of Hospitality and Tourism (Establishment) Bill, 2018;
6. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The National Research and Innovation Council (Establishment) Bill, 2017;
7. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The Nigerian Maritime Administration And Safety Agency (Amendment) Bill, 2017;
8. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The Advance Fee Fraud and other Related Offences (Amendment) Bill, 2017;
9. Presidential decision to decline assent to The Electoral (Amendment) Bill, 2018;
10. Request for confirmation of the appointment of Olanipekun Olukoyede, Esq as the secretary of the Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC);
11. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The Industrial Development (Income Tax Relief) (Amendment) Bill, 2018;
12. Declining assent to five constitution of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria, 1999 (Fourth Alteration) Amendment Bills Passed by The National Assembly (Namely, Bills No. 8, No. 15, No. 22, No. 24 And No. 28;
13. Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) 2018 Statutory Budget Proposal;
14. Request for the resolutions of the National Assembly For: 1. the implementation of the new external capital raising of USD 2.786 billion from the international capital market approved in the 2018 appropriation act; and 2. the external capital raising of USD 82.54 million to refinance the balance of USD 500 million matured eurobond in the international capital market;
15. Presidential Decision to decline assent to The Stamp Duties (Amendment) Bill, 2018; and
16. Declined assent to The Petroleum Industry Governance Bill, 2018.
Senate Leader, Ahmad Lawan cited order 43 and stated that the Senate should take the advantage to study all the bills that were returned to the Senate and understand what the real issues are. “I believe we will have something to learn from this.”
Senate Leader, Ahmad Lawan raised a motion on the deaths of former Speaker of the House of Representatives Rt. Hon. B. U. Nzeribe and Hon. Funke Adedoyin and moved that all legislative activities be suspended until the next legislative day.
Senate resolved to:
Observe a minute silence in honour of the departed souls.
Senator Ahmad Lawan moved that all other items on the order paper be stood down to another legislative day. Senator Biodun Olujimi seconded.
Plenary is adjourned to Wednesday, 10th October, 2018
More pictures below
Love Reading Our Reports? Share With Your Friends And Also You Can Share Your Story With Us On What's app :
New Media Department,
Office of the President of the Senate,
Federal Republic of Nigeria.