Late Abubakar Audu’s son, Mohammed debunks rumours over gunrunning allegation
Son of the late Abubakar Audu, aspirant in the 2015 gubernatorial election in Kogi State, Mohammed Audu, has reacted to the allegation by the police that he was breeding some political thugs alongside Dino Melaye ahead of the 2019 General election.
Recall that last week, two political thugs paraded in Lokoja, the Kogi state capital by the Nigeria Police named the Senator representing Kogi West, Dino Melaye and Mohammed Audu as their major sponsors.
The suspects-Kabir Saidu a.k.a Osama’ and Nuhu Saliu a.k.a ‘Small’ who have been on police wanted list for the past two years were arrested in January by the Kogi state police command and Federal special Anti- Robbery Squad.
In a statement signed by Mohammed Audu on Monday, he said the reports of complicity in gun running and association with political thugs were shocking to him.
Audu explained that, the police headquarter has not extended any invitation to him either personally or through any of his known addresses in Kogi State and in Abuja where he resides with his family.
He also denied that he was on the run as widely reported on social media.
The statement reads in part, “My attention has been drawn to several reports in both the social and conventional media in which the Nigerian Police Force Public Relations Officer is said to have mentioned my name in confessional statements made by some criminal suspects.
“The reports also insinuate that I have refused to Honour invitations by the police. Some online media outfits even went to the extent of saying I am on the run.
“The most worrisome of all is the reported threat by the FPRO to declare me, along with Senator Dino Melaye wanted for failure to honour a yet to be received summons.
“Following incessant calls from family members, friends and concerned well wishers, I wish to use this opportunity to make it abundantly clear that reports of complicity in gun running and association with political thugs are as shocking to me as they are to those who are conversant with the political terrain in Kogi State.
“Secondly, I wish to state that as I speak, nobody from the police headquarter has extended any invitation to me either personally or though any of my known addresses in KOGI State and in Abuja where I reside with my family.
“I wish to also passionately appeal to the gladiators in KOGI state to please excuse me and members of the family of Late Prince Abubakar Audu from the messy political altercations in the State. I am conscious of the fact that the enormous goodwill shown to our late father and which the family still enjoys may constitute a threat to some interested parties.
” However, we have been careful not to descend into the arena and have done everything possible to avoid open confrontations with anyone.
“It is inconceivable for me and members of my family to imagine that anyone in a position of authority will use institutions of power to witch hunt perceived opponents even when there are no reasons to do so.
“For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to make the following points very clear
1. There have been no police or court invitation to me on any matter in KOGI state up to this point.
2. I am not on the run and I do not think those claiming so expect me to show up at the courts or the police headquarters based on rumors in the social media .
3. I do not think the allegations reported in the media merit any response from me but if I am going to comment on them at all, it will be to say I am not in the business of raising or harboring thugs and therefore have no connection whatsoever with those suspects paraded by the police.
4. Senator Dino Melaye is someone I have known but I have never discussed issues relating to retaining political thugs with him or any other person for that matter . Any individual who wishes to engage the services of thugs for his or her politics should know that I am not useful in that regard since I have no use for them in the first place.
5. I wish to also appeal to the police authorities to call
some of their officers to order and resist the temptation to compromise their neutrality especially in areas where some persons are overtly desperate to silence perceived political opponents.
6. I shall continue to keep a low profile in the unfolding political drama in KOGI state and I only ask to be left out of the arena for now.
7. I wish to end by declaring that as a law abiding citizen, I shall honour any invitation extended to me on any matter from Law enforcement agencies if properly served any such notices .”Read More News HERE
Do you have any Story or Advert You would like to be Published on 042REPORT?
Whatsapp us on +2348109156044